A Coffee and a Connection: The Tale of a Lifetime Friendship

Disclaimer: All characters in this story are real. Any resemblance to any character living or dead is purely intentional. Based on my true life story. :)


I had just finished my final year exams and was awaiting my last semester results. Meanwhile, I had got an opportunity to attend an interview in one of the product-based IT firm. As I nervously walked into the corporate office for my first interview, little did I know that fate had an unexpected surprise in store for me. It was a crucial moment, as the company required candidates to excel not only in the interview but also in an online IQ test. With my heart pounding, I took my seat and prepared for the challenge that lay ahead.

The Strangers' Gaze:

Surrounded by cubicles, I could feel the weight of every one's eyes on me, as if they were piercing right through my anxious exterior. Among the sea of strangers, there was one person who stood a cubicle away, casting occasional glances in my direction. His eyes sparkled with curiosity, adding to my nervousness. Determined to focus, I locked my gaze on the screen and dove into the test.

A Surprising Outcome:

Weeks later, I received the long-awaited call informing me that I had secured the job. Not only that, but I had also achieved one of the highest scores on the IQ test. While it may not have surprised me, being an academically inclined person, it did boost my confidence. With a mix of excitement and anticipation, I embarked on this new chapter of my life.

The Pantry Encounter:

As I settled into my designated seat on the second floor, I noticed that the same curious stranger, now my colleague, was just three cubicles away. It was only my second or third day on the job when I found myself yearning for a cup of coffee. In the college canteen, it was always readily available, but this time, I had to prepare it myself. Sigh!

Clueless in the Pantry:

I made my way to the pantry, determined to satisfy my craving. However, there was one problem—I had no clue how to make a good cup of coffee. Undeterred, I decided to give it a try, hoping for the best. Alas, my attempt resulted in a rather unpalatable concoction that ended up in the sink.

An Unexpected Kindness:

Little did I know that my struggling coffee-making session had caught the attention of my newfound friend. He promptly messaged me on the office messenger, offering me a cup of coffee that he had personally prepared and left in the pantry for me. Grateful and touched by his thoughtfulness, I smiled and mumbled a heartfelt "Thank you" as I collected the cup.

The Beginning of Forever:

That small act of kindness marked the beginning of a bond that would withstand the test of time. Despite a decade that separated us, he understood me on a level no one else did. His presence brought color to my life, and he knew exactly how to lift my spirits when I was feeling down. It was as if he possessed a magical ability to make me smile, even during my darkest moments. 

The Beautiful Chaos of Friendship:

He was the friend who celebrated our fights because he believed that love thrived alongside disagreements. With him, I could discuss anything and everything under the sun, knowing that he would provide an unbiased perspective. He never hesitated to call out my mistakes, always opting for honesty rather than sugar-coating the truth. He helped me build a stronger relationship with my better half, as he would patiently listen to my dilemmas and provide an instant solution. He would happily oblige and become my counsellor. A lot of things made sense when he explained to me.

A Lifeline in Times of Need:

Through the years, he has remained a pillar of support, just a phone call away whenever I needed him. Our interactions might not be daily, but our unwavering presence in each other's lives is undeniable. He is my confidante, my 4 AM friend, who has taught me the value of having an opposite-gender companion, someone who loves me unconditionally and provides valuable insights into relationships and emotions. He has seen my journey from a naïve young girl to a woman handling her career and the responsibilities of a home. The best part is that both of our spouses respect our friendship and are proud of the bond we share.

A Dedication to Cherished Friendship:

This post is dedicated to my remarkable best friend, who continues to bring joy to my life with every conversation. Thank you for spoiling me bad, and pampering me. Thank you for being there in my life. I have no words to express how blessed I feel to have you in my life.

And to my beloved readers, I encourage you to embrace and cherish such friendships in your lives. Having a friend who offers unconditional love and unbiased viewpoints can help broaden your perspective and improve your relationships. If you already have such a friend, take a moment to express your gratitude and remind them how essential they are in your life. After all, as the saying goes, "Har ek friend zaroori hota hai" (Each friend is necessary), isn't it?

PS: Dearest M, I know this post was long pending. There you go! :)


Comments